Monday 12 November 2012

Troubles for THQ


Troubled publisher THQ dropped more bad financial news, revealing that it was in "certain defaults" on a $50 million credit facility with lender Wells Fargo

Argh, I was actually rather distraught when I found this out. I know that THQ don't release the best games, but they really do have some pretty cool stuff coming out. The thing about THQ, in my mind anyway, is that they never shied away from funding and publishing games that were in unpopular genres, or games that weren't guaranteed to fly off the shelves and make them a billion dollars. I mean, these guys pretty much stopped the RTS games from nose diving when the genre wasn't particularly popular, with titles like with Warhammer 40k and Company of Heroes. When you contrast this to publishers like EA (£10 on disc dlc kings) and Activision (master of the rehash), they stood out a little bit.



Although they did publish some rather er, questionable titles (just look here if you wish to see a list) it does mean games like Saints Row 4, Company of Heroes 2, Metro: Last Light, and the WWE game's could be cancelled completely, or just put on hold.

I have good memories of THQ, me and my cousin used to play the absolute heck out of "Smackdown vs Raw", he'd come over on a weekend and we'd just play it all day. Those were good times. Here's hoping they pull out of this and don't go under.


No comments:

Post a Comment